Saturday 24 January 2015

KINDNESS contd

In September of 1960, every apprentice of the 1960 batch had to return to the sugar estates that sponsored them. It was for the signing of the five years contract by the parent.
There lies the dilemma. S.M.K was banned from all estate premises.
I made an appointment to see Mr. Martindale, Personnel Manager at Blairmont Estate Office. I explained the matter confidently. He listened attentively. He asked me to wait. About ten minutes later, I was called to his office. He handed me a letter. And, then informed me that the trespass order against my father was lifted and he could attend the signing ceremony.
Around, a huge mahogany table, parent and apprentice sat with Mr. Martindale and the Estate’s Administrative Manager. The documents were signed. My father had a brief conversation with Martindale about a card game-Bridge. He had learnt to play the game while in detention. Back into the routine of village life, a group of men gathered at the Sanitary Inspector’s home every Wednesday night to play Bridge. It appears, Martindale was invited into the game by the Sanitary Inspector a few weeks prior. The Admin. Manager briefly spoke to S.M.K, “If you had dynamited the Scales and Cane knives House, your son would have missed an opportunity,” He said and walked away. 
Back to Port Mourant for a year. Mid-year 1961, we returned to the respective estates. At Blairmont, I was fascinated with the process of sugar production. All the different departments I had worked in considered me to be an excellent apprentice. I think, it got to my head. Somehow, I must have nerved George Ramoo. He humbled me with the words, “Education does not necessarily makes a person smart.” I remember his words onto this day.
At Blairmont Factory, with the exception of one mixed Chinese foreman, every other foreman and supervisor was a Negro person. Factory Manager, Hohenkirk, a baccra Guianese, had the confidence of his foremen and supervisors. Much later, I was told, he had instructed his staff to watch me closely for I might sabotage the factory as my father attempted to do. After three months at Blairmont, I returned to Bookers Training Centre at Port Mourant.
Practical Training and theoretical studies prepared us for the British Examinations of City & Guilds.
Completed.
It was back to Blairmont Factory for completion of the Five years agreement. All hands on experience with sugar making machinery. It was 1963. During those two years of practical training, I excelled,-moving up the progress ladder. Impressed even Hohenkirk.
Graduated in 1965. Worked for two more years at Blairmont Factory gaining more confidence as qualified journeyman.
Immigrated to Canada, September 1967. I remembered being worried about migrating. Discussed the feeling of uncertainty and anxiety with Bertie Nurse-I had trained under him. He built up my confidence. He simply said, “If you can do so excellent with these two hundred year old machines, just think what you will do with newer machines in Canada.”  That was it, I was ready to venture into new lands.
That drumbeat, so long ago that I felt as a child never departed from me. I followed the beat of my country and the Guyanese people. I am grateful to Headmaster Bourne. His kindness had spared me the Ration Lines, Marginalization, Shortage of food commodities and perhaps humiliation for being an East Indian. My name spelt denying me my civil rights. All that I had escaped by an act of kindness.
In Canada I did well. Mr. Bourne had equipped me to stand tall among giants. My foundations were sturdy.
I’ve heard it said many times, “If God is for you, then who can be against you.” Never registered, in thought, as Pastors spoke the words from pulpits.
Recently, I reflected, pretty well on the same words, said slightly different by my Nigerian Pastor. May be, his English pushed me to be more attentive to his pronunciation when he said,  “When God is on your side, you will receive divine favour even from those who will try very hard not to part with it.”
I remembered, Hohenkik , the baccra Guianese. Saw me in the same light as S. M. Kuttapen. The man who was a thorn by his side in the months of 1953.  And yet, he favoured me with advancement. Pushing open the glass-paned window, pointing to the sky after I told him I was immigrating. He said, “There is a silver lining out there for this country.”
British Guiana was borne into the young independent nation of Guyana.    
Velutha Kuttapen
 e-mail:   timehri@golden.net
Twitter:   Velutha Kuttapen@VeluthaK 

www.timehritoday.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment